Registration opened open just a few days ago . . . so if you would like to organise an event for Winchester or the surrounding area, or know someone who would, please get in touch via our contacts page. The site or event doesn’t need to be stately home, extraordinary or have famous connections (although we like those things too!), it just needs to meet the four conditions below:
1. Entrance must be FREE! If you intend to raise money over Heritage Open Days, there are various ways of doing so but admission to the main attraction of your event has to be free of charge. Running a free tour if visitors have to pay a site entrance fee doesn’t count!
2. Offer something special: Open a site or part of a site (can just be a room) that isn’t usually open to the public, or offer free entry to a usually charging site/activity.
And what if your site is open free of charge all year round? Do something out of the ordinary! Here are some simple ideas:
- Have volunteer stewards on site to greet visitors and answer questions
- Put on some activities or a competition
- Invite other groups to showcase their work – eg artists, choirs, local history societies
3. Provide some form of information Heritage Open Days visitors want to learn something new. You can support their exploration by providing:
- Guided tours
- Info flyers
- Skill demonstrations
4. Take place within the festival dates The festival always falls across the second full weekend of September – in 2017 this will be 7th to 10th September. Your event must take place at some point during this time. However, it doesn’t have to be open on all days or even for a full day.
PS We would also love to have your suggestions for the kind of events you would like to see at future HODs festivals, so do get in touch!